(This is not a sponsored post)
I’ve been so excited to share this project with you! So excited that I can’t just add it to the home makeover series because I’m just dying to show you NOW, not in 5 weeks!
I’m so sorry for the long post, but so much was done and I don’t want to miss a step!
Our main bathroom was the only room in the house that hasn’t been touched since we moved in. We initially slapped on some paint, added some accessories and called it a day.
The picture below is, again, from the house flier. Last one, I promise!
Now that 98% of the interior of the house is done, it was time to do something about this room. It no longer matched the look or feel of our home.
As I was thinking about what I wanted to do with it, I came up with a fun idea to see how much I could change this room without any demo. I would work with everything that was in the space so that we wouldn’t have to live without our main bathroom or deal with dust for multiple weeks.
Challenge was on! I started researching different techniques, decided what to do and went to work!
A few weeks prior to starting the actual project, I painted all of the trim and the radiator white. This alone made such an impact because it made everything pop.
First I had to repaint the ceiling. I’m a huge fan of Benjamin Moore paint so I went with their Aura Bath & Spa paint. it’s no VOC, extremely low-odor and mildew resistant. It can be wiped down umpteen times with no paint removal or fading.
The walls got a fresh new coat of paint too. Now, our walls have tile about 4 feet up so another decision I had to make was if everything should be painted the same color or not. I decided on to go with contrasting colors and couldn’t be happier! The “regular” part of the wall was painted with the Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa paint again. It’s a beautiful silvery grey color called Silver Half Dollar and I am so in love with it.
The tile was going to take more time. I wanted to make sure that it was done right so I used Stix Waterborne Bonding Primer. This stuff is amazing! This primer can be used on any surface to help paint adhere and it is also a sealer! Two steps in one. I painted the wall tiles white and then decided on doing a random stencil throughout. The stencil was done with the Silver Half Dollar and then sealed with polyeurythane.
I also painted the shower. It had the same tan tiles that were everywhere else in the bathroom so it needed to be freshened up! It was primed, painted the same color as the walls and sealed with with this high traffic floor sealer.
The same process was done on the floor. Prime, paint, stencil, seal. This part was super stressful, crazy fun and gave the biggest impact in the room.
Next was deciding what color to paint the vanity. Once again, I went to Benjamin Moore after researching their Advance Satin Interior paint. Another low-VOC paint that cures to a hard, furniture quality finish and doesn’t show brush marks. Hubby picked the final color among a few samples and we went with a blue/grey color called Wolf Gray. Initially I thought that I was going to paint the large mirror the same color, but decided that it would look too heavy against the wall paint and went with white.
We had black and tan granite countertops which, now, didn’t match anything. I used Giani Countertop Paint Kit in White Diamond. Another fun, but really stressful project. I’m not sure why I was stressed. It was super easy and turned out great!
I didn’t want to stop at the surface so I ordered shelf liners from Chicshelfpaper.com. You can order rolls or have custom sizes cut so that all you have to do is peel and install. Can you guess which I did? This is the Distressed Vines pattern.
I organized our cabinets and tossed whatever we haven’t used. We had some Under cabinet organizers so I just added the tops for extra storage and voila!
We kept all of the fixtures on the vanity, shower head, faucets, etc. We did switch out the Pendants over the vanity and they add such drama!
I found some amazing art by Lisa Russo on Etsy. All of her photographs are available as prints, canvas or can be printed on wood. I went with the wood option and full color instead of black and white and couldn’t be happier with the results!
I also shopped Etsy for the shelving over the toilet. I fell in love with the options from Wood Up Co. There were so many styles and finishes and they were so easy to work with. Once hubby hung those, everything transformed.
I found these rugs at Pottery Barn. They are super soft and don’t hide the pattern on the floor.
Hubby re-caulked everything, replaced all of the electrical outlets and switches, hung the new pendants, new curtain rod and curtains, new shower curtain rod, and a dozen other things that I didn’t dare touch.
Since this post is already pretty long, I will do a separate post with the cost breakdown. It was such a money saver using all of the existing elements and doing all of the work ourselves.